20 September 2008

Worth A Watch

I am rolling in anticipation for the 2009 Emmy Awards. Not because of my desire for more pointless sound offs from unqualified hosts, but because another HBO miniseries deserves recognition. Despite this series' critical illustration of the War in Iraq, I find myself pondering a curiosity to serve my country. Yet, even without a military background, I still feel a slight responsibility to explore this service like other men my age.

I have always been perceptive as to how this real-time war is being portrayed by the cinema folk. While bigger name documentaries such as No End in Sight and Taxi to the Dark Side recount the flawed plans and policies (or lack thereof) of those situated in Washington, DC, the accounts of those on the ground subscribe less mainstream attention.

Generation Kill recounts the on-the-ground developments of the Marines 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in between Kuwait and Baghdad. This seven part mini series is based on the actual accounts recorded by journalist Evan Right. It contrasts the results of insane miscalculations by the military higher ups with the emotional and fraternal aspects of war. Initially, the battalion shines with hope, but this optimism dwindles with no clear definition of victory. For example, the first American troops in Iraq are not clear on who to target or the direction of the mission. The series alludes to the fact that even higher ranking officials ("Godfather" himself) is unsure of the American plan beyond Baghdad. The Marines lack sufficient supplies and translators along with humanitarian aid for Iraqi civilians. Marine command ask the Battalion to push through violent insurgent zones in darkness, yet they fail to provide proper armor and batteries for night vision goggles.

Despite the clear frustrations of the soldiers on the ground, they exhibit a unique sense of brotherhood as they drive through the desert. I am most intrigued by this aspect of battle — likely because some of the soldiers are my age or younger. They sing hit songs from the 1990s and throw in pinches of tobacco. They share a set of emotions that is either not normal or not cultural accepted for men in America. Even with such outrageous conditions on the ground and my fierce opposition to the War in Iraq, I still find myself intrigued by the concept of military service. I contemplated ROTC in college, but is this all the result of my inner sense of patriotism or my attraction to what (at times) seems to be a boys club in Humvees?

I suppose our generation of young men (and women) was "saved" from the concept of a military draft. Yet, I am still not set on whether I believe military service is a necessary service for all young people. Certainly, some of the most influential in this country, including over 115 members of the House and Senate served in the military. Plus it seems to work in other countries (i.e. Israel). Either way, I am fortunate that I am able to make the choice between yes or no on military service. These young men are forced to "function in a void of indifference."

I honor the 4169 soldiers who have been killed in Iraq and pray for the men and women serving this country around the Globe.

_A.Scott

No comments: